School Motto - Virtus Sola Nobilitat “Only Goodness Makes you Noble”

The Wiradjuri people have long and deep connections dating back 60,000 years of settlement in our region and the Wiradjuri culture remains strong in Wellington. In 1871 the Wellington district was discovered by European explorer John Oxley. The town of Wellington developed in the 1840’s. The area was visited by Catholic clergy from around 1840, mostly from Bathurst or the Turon Goldfields. In 1855 Fr Patrick White was appointed, and the Parish was founded in 1856, as part of the Archdiocese of Sydney. St Patrick’s school is thought to have started between 1861 - 1863. Wellington had become part of the new Bathurst Diocese in 1866 and Bishop Mathew Quinn found a Catholic School already operating upon his arrival in November of that year. The arrival of Father James Kelly to St Patrick’s parish (1873) saw a new school building commissioned on the current site. In January 1883, Bishop Quinn sent three Sisters of Mercy from Bathurst who led the school. The Sisters of Mercy continued to foster learning at St Mary’s with Robert Hannelly becoming the first lay Principal at St Mary’s in 1974. A strong Mercy tradition continues at St Mary’s to current times.

Many generations of Wellington families are embedded in the history of St Mary’s. Memories shared through sacramental celebrations, school sport and excursions remain for all students and staff who have had associations with St Mary’s over the years.


Kindergarten 2021


2020 Mrs Clarke, Mr Jones and students


1967 Kindergarten


St Mary's Fire 1969